- 3 Cups
- 4-5 Very Ripe Plantains
- 1/2 inch Oil in large skillet
- 2 Cups Mozzarella or cheese of your choice
- 3 Eggs Beaten
- Preheat oil on med-high in skillet
- Select Plantains such as these
- Peel plantains and cut into thin slices lengthwise. Each Plantain should make 5-6 slices.
- Slicing the Plantains can be tricky. Here is a good method to use.
- Put Plantains in skillet a few at a time and cook on both sides until golden brown.
- When brown remove to plate with paper towels.
- When Plantains are fried, butter 13×13 casserole dish.
- Lay out Plantains on bottom leaving as little space as possible in-between.
- Put a layer as thick as you like of Picadillo on Plantains.
- Combine Milk with Beaten Eggs and add a thin layer on top of meat mixture.
- Put a layer of Cheese on top of Meat.
- Alternate layers as many as you wish. Commonly there are 3 layers of Plantains and 2 layers of Meat
- Finish top layer with Plantains, Egg and Cheese
- Bake in 350° oven for 30 minutes or until heated through. May want to broil momentarily to brown cheese.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes to make slicing easier.