- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (.25 ounce) package Spanish seasoning
- 3 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pigeon peas, drained
- 6 cups boiling water
- Place green peppers, onion, garlic and cilantro in a blender or food processor, puree. This mixture is called soffrito, it is your seasoning base. It can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 6 months.
- Step 2Place 3 tablespoons olive oil and 6 tablespoons soffrito in an 8 quart saucepan. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes to release oils.
- Step 3Pour one can of tomato sauce and the Spanish seasoning packet into the saucepan, mix well. Add 3 cups rice to the mixture and stir until the rice is coated.
- Step 4Stir pigeon peas into the mixture and add boiling water. Cover the pot with aluminum foil and a pot lid. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 45 minutes or until rice is tender.